Today’s post was written by Beth Scanlon, Olio Tasting Room
At Olio Tasting Room, we aren’t just a staff selling olive oil and balsamic, we are a bunch of crazy foodies on a mission to delight your senses! If you have ever visited the store, surely you have had an ingredient/recipe discussion with one of the staff members. Why? Because we are passionate about our products and how to use them. We love to experiment, cook and share what we’ve personally created in the kitchen with all of you! (As we do with each other). So, we want to delight your senses with some of our incredible products, provide a few recipes for your next meal or party and make it easy.
Recently added to the Olio menu are Butter Olive Oil and Maple Balsamic. The staff is buzzing about “Fall Flavors” and recipes which include ingredients such as sweet potatoes, butternut squash, risotto with winter squashes, pancakes and waffles. Imagine sweet potatoes tossed with Olio butter olive oil, salt and pepper, roasted, then drizzled with Olio maple balsamic. Amazing!
Enjoy this recipe for Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch rounds
1/2 c. Olio Butter olive oil
1/4 c. Olio Maple balsamic
2 ½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
2 tbsp. honey
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary leaves
Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Combine the oil, balsamic, honey, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over potatoes. Toss well until all pieces are covered. Sprinkle with ½ the rosemary.
- Spray sheet tray with cooking spray. Arrange potatoes on sheet tray in a single layer, without crowding.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes until fork tender and the balsamic glaze has caramelized.
- Place the potatoes on a serving platter, adjust seasoning and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Garnish with remaining rosemary and chopped parsley.
Olio is known for its’ high quality oils and balsamics, but we also carry several locally made products that are easy to incorporate into any meal and appetizer. What comes to mind is Crum’s hot sauces, made in Del Ray, VA. During the holidays, everyone needs an easy throw together recipe that requires a few ingredients and little time. Past tastings in the store always get rave reviews. Enjoy this recipe for easy Peach Habanero Salsa:
Peach Habanero Salsa
1 – 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
1 – 10 oz. can Rotel original tomatoes
½ medium onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
½ c. cilantro
Juice from 1 lime
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. Crum’s Peach Habanero hot sauce, or to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse to desired consistency. About 8-10 pulses.
- Refrigerate for at lese 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Stores for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
During the holiday season, it’s sometimes difficult to keep the table filled with healthier options. Kale is a popular green that is inexpensive and plentiful all year long. Adding this bright, colorful and festive kale salad to your table tossed with Olio’s vinaigrette recipe will surely bring smiles to your guest’s faces.
Kale greens, roughly 1 ½ cups per person
Red onion, small dice
Pomegranate, seeds only
Parmesan cheese, optional
½ c. Olio Pomegranate Balsamic
Juice from 1 lemon
1-2 tbsp. honey
Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
½ – 1 c. Olio Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Prepare the salad in a large bowl.
- To prepare the vinaigrette: whisk together all the ingredients balsamic through mustard in a small bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking.
- Add enough oil to create an emulsification. Make adjustments according to taste (more honey, more lemon juice …).
- Adjust seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss vinaigrette with the salad 15 minutes prior to serving.
For these and more recipes and tons of gift ideas, please visit our website at www.oliotastingroom.com. Even better, stop in and let us bedazzle you!!